Kappa Delta was the first sorority founded at the Virginia State Normal School on October 23, 1897 by Mary Sommerville Sparks, Julia Tyler Gardiner, Lenora Ashmore and Sara Turner. In 1912, the Sorority decided to join the National Panhellenic Council, but due to rules restricting member organizations to collegiate institutions, Longwood's Alpha Chapter was forced to relinquish its charter. On April 9, 1949 the Alpha Chapter of Kappa Delta was reinstated at Longwood College, absorbing the local sorority Gamma Theta into the National Kappa Delta Sorority.Provenance
Items in this collection were donated to the Greenwood Library Archives by the Kappa Delta Alpha Chapter in October of 2022.Scope and Content
Composite images of Kappa Delta SororitySize
This collection consists of 31.79 linear feet contained in 29 flat boxes, 1 legal archival storage box, 1 letter size storage box, 1 photographic binder, and 1 oversize folder. Composites are stored loose without enclosures.Notes
There are no restrictions to access or use for research purposes.
Gamma Theta Collection, LU-054 contains materials of the local sorority created while the Kappa Delta Alpha Chapter was disbanded from 1911-1949.View the full finding aid here: Kappa Delta, LU-048