Gamma Theta was a local sorority formed at [then] State Female Normal School in 1911. The sorority was formed primarily in preparation for the eminent dissolution of another sorority, Kappa Delta. Although Kappa Delta had been founded at the school in 1897, and the Alpha Chapter of the sorority was active, by the early 20th century the sorority was growing rapidly with chapters in several states across the nation. In order to foster continued growth of the organization, a decision was made to join the National Panhellenic Conference. The NPH, however, had established rules that member organizations could not have chapters at “sub-collegiate” schools. This rule, unfortunately, meant that the Alpha Chapter of Kappa Delta, at the State Female Normal School was ineligible. After much debate, the Alpha Chapter made the decision to relinquish its charter for the betterment of the larger organization.
Gamma Theta was active from 1911 until 1949 when, Longwood College, no longer classified by the National Panhellenic Conference as sub-collegiate, could once again join sororities from which they had previously been ineligible. On April 9, 1949, in a ceremony that included both Kappa Delta and Gamma Theta alumni, the Alpha Chapter of Kappa Delta was reactivated at Longwood College.
The images in this collection consist of photographs and photographic negatives that were separated from the scrapbooks prior to donation or were inserted between scrapbook pages but not attached to those pages.
Back to Gamma Theta (Kappa Delta) Collection, LU-054