The First National Bank began operations in Farmville, Virginia in 1900 on Main Street. The bank grew over the years to include several branch locations in and around the Farmville area. In 1955 the Main Street location purchased the adjoining building and began an expansion program. The bank plans included removal of two buildings and the construction of a new bank on the north east corner of Main and Third Street. The architecture firm of P.S. Clark was hired to draw up the plans which included an artist drawing of the proposed new building. The proposal was approved and construction of the building was completed in 1957. The building today is still in use and is serving as the home of the Barnes & Noble bookstore.Provenance
This architectural rendering was purchased by Thomas W. Morrissett of Palm Harbor, FL and was donated to the Farmville-Prince Edward County Historical Society in honor of his aunt Naomi Word, a longtime employee of First National Bank. The framed drawing was presented to the historical society in September 2018.Scope and Content
This 1955 architectural rendering of the proposed new bank in Farmville, was created by Lynchburg, VA based architect Pendleton S. Clark.Size
The framed drawing measures 21”x31.”Notes
There are no restrictions to access or use for research purposes.
The finding aid for the First National Bank - Architectural Drawing can be viewed here.